31 December 2010

Japanese exclusive, 1986 vintage, "Goodbye Convoy" giftset

* Introductory text for this and the Goodbye Megatron post is substantially similar because I bought them at the same time. *

I still can't sleep. I'm still blown away at the thought of having acquired 2 of the rarest giftsets in Trans-fandom, from the same store, in the same afternoon, in one hit - Goodbye Convoy and Goodbye Megatron.

The feeling is amazing and I think I can safely say that not many collectors out there will have had such an experience or a similar experience. Truely, it is a monumental moment for me.

Before I got them, I didn't think too much about them because partly, I subconsciously know that they are almost beyond reach. How often would I see a "Goodbye" set appear on auction or on sale at a shop. Not very often I'd say.

Naysayers say that buying the "Goodbye" sets are like buying fancy boxes and styrofoam. I tend to agree with them in general. However, having seen the first-hand and in person, I have to say that they are awesome to behold and hold. Definitely worth getting if one is a Prime or Megatron fan and is willing to pay what is usually a hefty price tag for these sets.

To be honest, Goodbye Convoy was not in such great shape, but I decided to buy it and Goodbye Megatron (which is in very very good condition) together because of (1) the experience and (2) to get a bigger discount off the sets.

1986, Goodbye Convoy giftset
Box = C7, slightly water damaged, general wear
Styro = C6, has seen better days
Toys = C6-7 on the average, incomplete; missing Red Alert
Paperworks = none



This version of the box art, with blue windshield but yellow eyes, is unique to the Goodbye Convoy giftset

Made in Japan. Oh yeah!


Special 'goodbye tag' that only this set and Goodbye Megatron has.


Out of box


Except for some chrome wear, Prime is still in pretty good condition.

With "Goodbye Megatron" giftset


On display at home.

1 comment:

Your comment will be beamed to me and will be visible within 3 to 7 hours typically. Do check back or subscribe to this post for my responses or to see comments from other readers! ~ HD

Last 30 days' TOP TEN Popular Posts